I have been collecting quotes here and there from Hannah intending to turn them into blog posts and then never doing it--so I decided to just compile them all and finally share them! The thoughts and songs and imaginings from Hannah's amazing brain from 2011! They are in order from earlier in the year to later. (Unfortunately I did not always write down the date of the quotes so some are just guesses as to chronology.)
H: Mommy, why can I break this stick so easily?
M: It's all dried out!
H: Oh. It needs lotion!
Last winter (January 2011) when Hannah was cold she would announce "I sugared!" for "I shivered."
At the beginning of the year Hannah was in the habit of saying "Where you are, Mommy?" and "I very like ice cream!" and she still will often say "Always you (joke or say that) sometimes."
H: Mommy, when we die we fall into God.
H: God talks to me in my heart.
M: What does He say to you?
H: He says He loves me very much. Sometimes He tells me to be more helpful to you.
Hannah often uses metaphors and similies to describe what she is seeing--even before she could talk! One time when she was one year old I had just sliced an onion in half. She looked at it and made the "moon" baby sign! Last year I was pouring frozen cauliflower out of the bag and she said "It's like clouds!"
In the spring, while driving on errands Hannah loved to look out the window at all the blooming trees and flowers. She would often exclaim over them. One day she proclaimed "Mommy the flowers are so beautiful they poked a hole in my heart!" (She was trying to say "pierced my heart"--an expression we had read in a book and I had tried to explain to her.)
Another day while listening to music, she burst forth with "I just love all God's creation! Thank you God for making Jonsi!" (Hannah's favorite musician.)
She fell in love with the Peter Pan story in 2011 which Shawn read to her and it often wove itself into her pretend play--"Let's go to Neverland! It's the left star to the right!"
"Praise the Lord! (repeated)
You made everything!
I don't know how big you are, but I still love you.
You are the best God in the whole world!
Thank the Lord!
Thank you for the beautiful forest. When we went to the cabin you were still there.
We know you were still there!"
After singing this several times with some variations, she stated to herself "'Thank you' says God when we say that. 'Thank you' He yells down at us, but it doesn't hurt our feelings when He yells 'cause he doesn't yell loud."
Later that summer Hannah started asking all kinds of questions about the body--why tears come out of our eyes when we cry, what would happen if we had no bones, what is blood made of, why is it red . . .
H: "What is the brain made of?
Shawn: It is made of tissue.
H: (incredulous) We have tissue (as in kleenex) inside us!?
June 2011:
"Mommy! Isn't he so delicate! He is shiny and beautiful!" This statement was made over a dead fly found on the window sill. Not my feelings exactly but . . . .
June 14, 2011: I wrote this one down because as Hannah is very sensitive to textures and has a hard time liking a lot of food I very rarely hear this: "Mommy, you are the best cook. I just love all the food you make for me!" (I wish, but it was good to hear it at least once!)
December 27, 2011: I overheard Hannah asking Shawn this while talking to him on the phone.
"Daddy, are you peeking at my dreams? Do you see my dreams?"
Pause . . .
"Well, you're looking in my ear!"
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
Anonymous
"Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life"
Sophocles






2 comments:
These are such wonderful quotes! Hannah is so bright and so beautiful, curious and clever and cute. I feel lucky to know her!
This is so precious!
Post a Comment